Check Availability
Check In     :
Check Out  :
Adult  :

Little Hagia Sophia Mosque

Little Hagia Sophia Mosque, built in 527-536 as a church, is one of the important structures in Istanbul. The Little Hagia Sophia Mosque, which has been standing for 1500 years, is also known as St. Sergius and Bacchus Church.

Built during the reign of Emperor Anastasius and Empress Theodora, this building is the most impressive in terms of architecture in the city.

little-sofia-mosque

According to a story, Emperor Anastasius decides to execute for Justinian, a conspiracy against him. Anastasius, who sees Saint Sergios and Saint Bachios in a dream, is convinced that Justinian is not related to conspiracy. Later, Emperor Justinian also built a church for them in order to show their gratitude to the saints: Sergius & Bacchus Church.

Little Hagia Sophia is older than Hagia Sophia even though it is unknown. Built in 536, the church is the oldest worship place of Istanbul dating from the Roman era.

Architecture of Little Hagia Sophia Mosque

The inside of the mosque consists of octagonal columns and 16 arches.

The building, which was built as a church, was later transformed into a mosque, but the columns of green and red marble columns remained from the church era.

little-sofia-mosque

In a relief in the Little Hagia Sophia Mosque, the founders of the church are mentioned about Saint Sergius and Saint Bacchus.

When Little Hagia Sophia Returns to the Mosque

After the conquest of Istanbul, Fatih Sultan Mehmet did not return the church. Little Hagia Sophia was transformed into a mosque by the Darussade Hüseyin Ağa during the 2nd Bayezid period. At this time, the building was added to the madrasah, fountain and minaret; some additional windows have been opened.

Little Hagia Sophia Mosque, which suffered great damage in the earthquakes of 1648 and 1763, underwent extensive renovation in 1831. Little Hagia Sophia also suffered much from the train route passing by the near at 19th century.

During the Republican period, between 1936 and 1938, and in 1955, there is a camelia and handcrafts exhibition in the garden of the mosque, which passed through a great restoration.