The new airport, the third airport built in Istanbul, was renamed “Istanbul Airport”. Istanbul Airport, which was opened on October 29, 2018 and started its operations gradually, provides port services with the code “ISL”.
Istanbul Airport is also the largest airport in the world, built from scratch without any additions.
Istanbul Airport, which has the capacity to serve 200 million passengers, is located on the European side of the city, between the villages of Tayakadın and Akpınar on the Black Sea coast.
The airport, which will transfer fuel by sea instead of road, is the first of its kind in the world.
Where is New Istanbul Airport?
Istanbul New Airport is located on the European side of Istanbul, on the Black Sea coast, in the district of Arnavutköy. The airport, which will operate in an area of 76.5 square kilometers between Tayakadın and Akpınar villages, is located at Çatalca, Göktürk Arnavutköy Junction, next to Terkos Lake.
How to get to Istanbul Airport?
Turkey ‘s largest flight hub Istanbul how to provide access to the new airport, airport construction as soon wondered where everyone was a topic. Transportation from Istanbul Airport to the city center is provided by metro, taxi, bus and private vehicles.
1. Transportation by HAVAIST Buses
150 buses from 18 different lines to Istanbul New Airport carry passengers from the city center to the airport and from the airport to the city center. The most distant line from the airport to the city center is Yenikapı-Sirkeci with 30 TL in the direction of Pendik and the most frequent route is 18 TL.
Bus lines from Istanbul Airport to the city center are as follows: Beylikdüzü Tüyap, Bus Station, Bakırköy, Beşiktaş, Alibeyköy Pocket Bus Station, Kadıköy, Hacıosman, Tepeüstü, Arnavutköy, Kemerburgaz, Sarıyer, Başakşehir, Bahçeşehir, Mahmutbey Metro, Halkalı and Mecidiyeköy.
Istanbul New Airport Bus Lines
1. Beylikdüzü Tüyap-52 km-15 minutes-21 TL-15 vehicles
2. Bus Station-38 km-15 minutes-16 TL-12 vehicles
3. Bakırköy-44 km-10 minutes-18 TL-19 vehicles
4. Yenikapı- Sirkeci-50 km-11 minutes-18 TL-23 vehicles
5. Besiktas-43 km-20 minutes-18 TL-13 vehicles
6. Alibeyköy Pocket Bus Station-31 km-30 minutes-16 TL-5 vehicles
7. Kadıköy-64 km-20 minutes-25 TL-11 vehicle
8. Pendik-93 km-45 minutes-30 TL-5 vehicle
9. Hacıosman-40 km-30 minutes-16 TL-4 vehicle
10. Tepeüstü-91 km-30 minutes- 25 TL-7 vehicles
11. Arnavutköy-22 km-40 minutes-12 TL-3 vehicles
Kemerburgaz-21 km-40 minutes-12 TL-3 vehicles
13. Sarıyer-40 km-30 minutes-16 TL-5 vehicles
14. Başakşehir-27 km-30 minutes-14 TL-4 vehicles
15. Bahçeşehir-40 km-40 minutes-16 TL-4 vehicles
16. Mahmutbey Metro-36 km-45 minutes-15 TL-3 vehicles
17. Halkalı-40 km-50 minutes-16 TL-4 vehicles
18. Mecidiyeköy-37 km-15 minutes-16 TL-10 vehicles
2. Transportation by Subway
Work continues on the metro lines that will provide transportation between Airport and the city center. The Gayrettepe-Yeni Airport subway is planned to be put into service by the end of 2019 and the Halkalı-Yeni Airport subway, which will have 6 stations and a length of 27 km, will be put into service by the end of 2020.
3. Transportation by taxi
Istanbul Airport operator İGA has signed an agreement with Istanbul 34 Taxisers Cooperative about the new airport taxi services. At the airport where 600 taxis will work in the first stage, the number of taxis will increase according to the demand.
The long distance between the new airport and the city center shows that taxi ride will be quite costly. For more convenient travel, you need to ride 3-4 people by taxi or look at transportation alternatives such as transfer, UBER. It is also worried that taxis carrying passengers from Istanbul city center to the new airport will return to the city center without picking up passengers from the airport, which may lead to problems such as the extra charge for taxi drivers to the new airport.
4. Transportation by Private Car
The easiest route to get by private car is provided via the third bridge. The indoor and outdoor parking capacity of the airport is 40 thousand.
Shared car applications are also expected to become operational in order to facilitate transportation at the airport, which includes many car rental offices